Friday, November 1, 2013

Surprise! It's A Blessing!

People have always given my mom stuff. I'm not just talking about a bag of old clothes. I mean furniture and appliances, things with value. Nearly every time I talk to her she says how so-and-so gave her this-or-that. It's remarkable to me. She does pass along some of what she gets, so I've received a few treasures from her. 

I have a friend, Audrey, who has a heart for the homeless. It doesn't matter to her if they are on the streets because they are a drug addict, a drunk, or lost everything when the company they worked for went belly up. She feeds them in soup kitchens, befriends them, prays with them and really tries to meet their needs. Her friends and church family knew that she walked the streets right along with the homeless. They started giving her stuff. Clothes, food, blankets, pillows, baby items, toiletries. They would tell her to give it to someone who needs it. She grew a sizable ministry in the Detroit area, just from donations that were given to her, to give to those who need it most. 

I have another friend, Jen. Not once, but several times, strangers have approached her and handed her money. She doesn't look needy. She has a job. Someone felt lead to bless her, so they did. 

For whatever reason, some people like mom and Audrey get lots of stuff given to them. Me, not so much. But occasionally, an unexpected blessing does come my way. Last Saturday a little church down the road had a Giveaway Day. Just come in the basement and take what you need. A free yard sale. It was a nice service to offer the community. I found a couple shirts and an umbrella. They had what they called big ticket items. A few chairs, tvs, an old computer, and there was a tan love seat with matching chair and ottoman. It looked new to me. You had to enter your name in a drawing for those. I really wanted that furniture and knew just where I'd put it. When I got home I told Cliff about the furniture and how it would be so neat if I won it. If you haven't guessed by now, I was the winner of the coveted tan love seat and chair. It is the most comfortable furniture in my house now. In fact, I have a hard time getting the teenagers out of that chair. The first time I sat in it, I fell asleep. I'm talking comfy-cozy.  

It seems to me that blessing like that are God's Favor. We all receive what we earn. We are given gifts at special times like birthdays and Christmas. If we get hitched or reproduce, we get gifts. But it just feels different when it is a total surprise. Unexpected blessings may be God's way of saying, "I'm still here." That could just be me, because I look for God everywhere and in everything, so to me it's a God-thing. 

I've had opportunity to give things to people that they didn't expect and I know they appreciated it and gladly accepted the blessing. I'm going to try and do that more often. Let's all try and pass along things we don't use or need. If it's in good shape, don't try and make a buck by selling it. Just give it away! Try it. Someone could have sold that furniture. They shared with me and for that, I am grateful. 

Of course, I have to close by saying, "It is more blessed to give than receive." Amen.